Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Second Opinion Blues

Went to Moffitt today, it was nice, even charming.
But damn if the news wasn't just as alarming.
Doc One and Doc Two must have gone to the same school,
same diagnosis, same treatment, I felt like a fool.

Due to the rare nature, my case is not clear
It's the unknown,  the not sures, that I've come to fear.
Yet I have resigned to the fact surgery is my fate
and will accept the 21st as the scheduled date.

So comparing apples to apples, both the just the same
Same credentials, experience, just a different name.
Morton Plant here I come, warm fuzzies or not.
Doc 2 was really nice, but he sure blinked a lot.

We now return you to the non-rhyming portion of the blog.....

So in all seriousness,  I had come to expect the same answers and treatment plan before I went to Moffitt.   I was hoping the Dr. had a less invasive treatment plan, but that is just not in the cards for me.  The suspected tumor near the spleen, the hysterectomy and omentectomy are all reasons to do the full abdominal surgery.  As both docs explained it... since I was such an unusual case they need to get in and find out where the cancer originates, where else it may be and where it could go.  This will also allow them to feel around and possibly find something they could miss just using a laparoscope.  As much as I don't like it, it is my only option since there are so many unknowns.

I haven't really cried in a few days.   I am not sure if it is true acceptance or I am just numb.   Today I was in a pretty good mood, goofy even.   Joking around, singing and doing silly dances.  My co-workers wanted to know what the doctor gave me...no, not drugs.  Nothing really,  just a sense that this was the best course of action and that this would help me lead a longer life.  I don't know what the next few weeks will bring me, but I plan on enjoying them as much as I can.

2 comments:

  1. Who's the surgeon that will be cutting you open?
    Just needed to know, make sure he's no dopen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping Moffitt would give you the answer that you desired,
    But I'm glad they were straight-forward and told you what you required.
    I'll bring you some Italian and a box of tissues
    and possibly cheer you up with a dance move from 1992.

    ReplyDelete